USO Houston Fact Sheet
USO Background: The USO’s mission is to lift the spirits of America’s troops and their families. The USO was Congressionally-chartered in 1941 and today operates 160 Centers globally, which handle more than 9 million visits annually from troops and military family members. Learn more about our scope and reach here: http://www.uso.org/annual-report.
USO Houston Snapshot:
the USO provides a touch of home to nearly 50,000
troops and military families annually who visit the USO Centers at Bush
Intercontinental Airport, Hobby Airport, and Ellington Field Joint Reserve
Base. Additionally, the USO offers morale-boosting and family-strengthening
programs to the 8,000 Soldiers, Sailors,
Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen and their families who are based in Walker,
Harris, Montgomery, Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston and Jefferson counties. We
also serve those Greater Houston-based families geographically separated from a loved one who is deployed or
stationed overseas. The USO is here for those who need us the most: our troops
and military families, our wounded, ill and injured troops and their
caregivers, and our families of the fallen. More than 275 volunteers and an Advisory
Council help three full-time Houston-based staff members deliver goodness
to our troops and their families year-round.
• USO Center: Bush InterContinental Airport (IAH), Terminal D, across from D2, Sun-Sat, 6am-9pm
• USO Center: Hobby Airport (HOU), Central Concourse, one level below Gate 44, Sun-Sat, 9am-9pm
• USO Center: Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base (EFJRB), Welcome Center, Tue-Fri, 8am-12pm
• Coming Soon! USO Center: Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS), downtown Houston
• Administrative Office: Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base (EFJRB), Bldg 1056, Mon-Fri, 10am-5pm
2013 Quick Facts:
- USO Houston provided a touch of home to a total of 48,105 troops and military family members who visited our USO Centers at IAH, HOU, and EFJRB.
- 3,744 local troops and military family members benefited from events and activities sponsored by and/or supported by USO Houston in Greater Houston and along the upper Texas Gulf Coast.
- 145 Airmen were treated to homecoming meals upon their return from Afghanistan and 80 Coast Guardsmen hosted their cutter’s pre-deployment family day at a USO Beach Bash on Galveston Island.
- 223 transiting wounded, ill, or injured troops were assisted by USO volunteers at IAH.
- 10 Families of the Fallen en route to/from Dover Air Base received discreet and compassionate escorts through Houston airports by USO volunteers, while 78 family members of local fallen Soldiers were treated to a day of camaraderie and fellowship at a USO Beach Bash.
- 276 USO volunteers made the USO’s support of these 51,849 troops and their families possible, by contributing a grand total of 22,061 service hours (an average of 80 hours/volunteer).
Major Supporters: Houston Airport System, Kroger, Direct Energy, Paul and Jan Pool, Fluor Corporation, Gordon A. Cain Foundation, Houston Texans, Outlook Financial Group, Regions Bank, Occidental Petroleum Corporation, United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, and Bel Furniture.
Advisory Council: A group of volunteer advisors help sustain USO Houston’s local operations by spreading awareness of our programs and generating donor support. Advisors are nominated by the local Director and confirmed by the USO Board of Governors. See the current Advisory Council and learn more here: http://us.uso.org/Houston/Advisory-Council.
Financials: The USO, Inc. is a 501(c)3 organization highly rated for fiscal transparency and accountability by Charity Navigator, the Better Business Bureau, and GuideStar. USO Houston is part of the USO, Inc., with a 2014 operating budget of $452,000. The USO’s most recent financial statements are available publicly at www.uso.org and our tax ID number is 13-1610451.