USO of Metropolitan Washington-Baltimore established Turkeys for Troops in 2008 to assist lower enlisted military families (E1 - E6) due to an increase in emergency food requests during the holiday season. Turkeys for Troops is a program that provides military families with traditional ingredients needed to prepare a Thanksgiving meal for a family of 4-6, including a gift card to purchase a fresh turkey from a local food store. (Note: Due to food safety handling regulations, the holiday meal baskets DO NOT include a turkey. A gift card to a local food store is given to purchase a fresh turkey instead.) Since its start in 2008 the program has expanded from serving 500 families in 2008 to more than 1200 military families in 2013-2014. This program is made possible through generous donations from our corporate partners and funds raised during an annual telethon held on Veteran's Day. This year a minimum of 1200 families will be served.
This year we will be bringing Turkeys for Troops to service members in a new way. We will be distributing meal boxes at two locations with a fun, festival environment filled with booths, games, refreshments, activities and prizes! In order to receive your meal box registered participants must be present at the event. How to Register and important information:Turkeys for Troops is open to all active duty service members, E1 - E6. Registration opens on October 1, 2016 at noon and will close October 17 or when maximum capacity is reached. Key things to remember to register:
- This program is open to active duty, E1 - E6 only (no exceptions, please). Participants are required to show military ID when picking up items.
- Registration should be completed using the service member's first and last name and the service member's military email address. Two email addresses will be needed to register:
- The active duty service member's current and valid MILITARY email address 0 A military email address is required (and approved) by our Senior Enlisted Advisory Council
- A preferred personal email address
**Please carefully enter BOTH email addresses because this is the primary way USO-Metro communicates with registrants. If either of these email address sections are left blank, incomplete, or invalid, registration must be cancelled.
***Occasionally service members have missed receiving messages because an email from USO-Metro will go to a spam folder. Please be sure to save HolidayPrograms@usometro.org as a safe contact so you can receive up to date information!***
- Registrants must provide accurate information for the Senior Enlisted Service Member (E7, E8, E9). Required information of the E7, E8, E9 within your chain of command includes first and last name (Ex. CSM John Smith), phone number and correct military email address. If registrations list N/A, Civilian information or just the senior enlisted leader's name to answer the question the registration will be removed and the service member will be asked via email to re-register should space still be available.
- USO-Metro is unable to hold holiday food baskets past the distribution date. Unclaimed holiday food baskets will be distributed to our wait list.
- Once registration is submitted, the pickup location the registrant selected for pick-up cannot be changed.
- If an emergency situation arises and you cannot make the pickup time, you must EMAIL: email@example.com two hours before the event start time. Please do not call a USO Center or airport lounge, leave a message at the front desk (hand-written or by phone), speak to a staff member or volunteer, etc - An emergency pickup delay notification must be accompanied by a detailed email message with your first and last name, phone number, service branch, event location, and reason you are no longer able to attend or missed pickup. The email address to contact is firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to lack of storage space, items cannot be held after distribution date.
Please check your calendar. If you cannot attend the program distribution dates/locations this year, please do not register. USO-Metro's cancellation and no-show policy is in effect. If participants register and are not present to pick up donated items, USO-Metro will take the following actions:
1. You will not be allowed to participate in next year's holiday programs.
2. You will not be eligible to receive tickets through USO-Metro's Ticketline program until July 1, 2017.
3. USO-Metro will notify your Command/Senior Enlisted/E7 that you did not show up to pick up your items.
Your attention to the above rules and restrictions is greatly appreciated as space is extremely limited in these high-demand programs.
Participants who do not pick up donated items can cause other military families to miss out on needed assistance.
Please feel free to contact USO-Metro Holiday Programs Team with any questions about this program at 703-888-7602 or email@example.com.
All information in the registration must be completed. Be sure the service member's contact information is correct as we will be validating all email and contact information. If any information provided is false or incomplete the registration cannot be processed.
The 2015 Turkeys for Troops program was proudly sponsored by: